Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Birthday Wish....

The big scary 4-0 is lurking, like a shadow in a dark corner.  It is only weeks away, and I have spent considerable time deciding how I would like to mark the passing of such a milestone.  My ultimate birthday wish, what I want more than anything  is to spend it with my family, as they are the single most important things in my life and, without them, 40 would just be a number in the chronology of my life.  The big day happens to fall on a Monday, and I’ll be damned if I’m working on my 40th birthday, so I’ve already requested it off….as a matter of fact, I requested it off last year when I realized I’d have a Monday birthday this year.  It would be a blast if my entire family was off that day!

I’ve been setting goals for myself over the last few years, and really starting to dig into them this year.  One of those was to run a half marathon by my 40th birthday.  As I do not consider myself a runner, this is a rather impressive goal. I’ve started on it, and am now hooked.  I ran my first 5K last weekend, and am looking ahead to more running, training, and races.  I’m on track to do a 10K in late October, and cool off with a 5K the following week .  I checked my training schedule and I will be ready to go for the half by 11/22/09…the day BEFORE my birthday.

How awesome is that?!?  The downside is that there are no half marathons in Chicago on that day, nor near that day, nor near Chicago near that day.  If I wait until 2010’s schedule, I will be in a new age bracket which, I suppose could be an advantage, but takes the “I ran a half marathon by my 40th birthday,” right out of the mix. So, for fun, I started looking to see if there were any half-marathons anywhere in Illinois. Nada, but according to Marathon Rookie, there is one the week before my birthday, on 11/15 through the vineyards in Paso Robles called the Wine Vine Run.

MMMmmmmm....fermented grapes......

My husband and I have developed quite a palette for wine.  We changed our diets about a year ago and cut out the calories and carbs of beer.  Shortly thereafter, Mike began working at a wine bar, so our exposure to, and love of wine increased vastly. We have a wonderful love affair with wine, particularly reds.  So, how perfect is it that there is a race that begins and ends at a vineyard.  Sure I have to fly to CA, but if I work a couple extra jobs I can probably come up with air fare and entry fee.  Of course, I couldn’t bring my entire family which would be kind of stinky, but we could have a big bash when I get back.

Yes, yes.  I do believe I have wished for one of the most ultimate 40th birthday wishes. Wine, half marathon before birthday, my husband, and heck….I know people in CA, maybe we could have a birthday party after I recover from passing out at the finish line….OOOOOOOHHHH…a birthday party AT THE VINEYARD!!!!!  Let’s do it!

[Via http://tinanmike.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment