Monday, September 14, 2009

Back in the SLH

*Disclaimer: I received this wine as a sample from Hahn Winery.

The Santa Lucia Highlands that is.  Last year at the Wine Blogger Conference I met Lisa from Hahn Winery and got to take home a couple bottles of Hahn wine, including a Pinot Gris from the SLH series that I really enjoyed.  Lisa was in attendance again this year, bearing even more wines from the Hahn family of wineries, and I grabbed a bottle of the 2007 SLH Estate Hahn Syrah on the recommendation of Thea (I’m trying to be better about the linking thing, I’ve noticed a marked decrease of cross linking around the wine blog world recently) and she’s never steered me wrong, so into my case it went. It clocked in at 14.7% alcohol by volume, had a real cork closure, and retails for around $24.

On the nose the Syrah seemed pretty peppery at first, but it wasn’t overwhelming and it integrated quickly. The rest of the nose revealed chocolate, rich black plums, meat, sweet oak, blackberry, and dark fruit. It just smelled fresh.  In the mouth, this is one heck of a spicy Syrah, so if you like that kind of thing, this is for you.  I got pepper, earth, blackberry, black plum, black cherry,  anise, and violets.  The wine had a long finish, great structure, and nice acidity.  I found the fruit to be velvety and smooth.  I really wanted lamb with the SLH Syrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment