Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Ten Bells: A Diamond in the Rough

Okay, so this isn’t really a restaurant review. Technically it’s a wine bar review, but it’s always healthy to switch things up so let’s get to it. This wine bar also happens to serve food, which I’m sure tastes great. However, I wouldn’t know since I only consumed several glasses of wine. Sometimes this Hungry Girl is Thirsty.

The Ten Bells prides itself on serving organic wine in the Lower East Side in what I think is one of the most nondescript places I’ve ever been, located in a fairly barren area on Broome and Ludlow. In fact, I don’t recall seeing a sign, I just walked into what looked like it might be a wine bar and I was right! Go me.

Once inside, it’s a completely different feel from the chic grunge of the LES. The dimly lit candles, dark wood and low key reggae/trip hop music immediately puts you at ease, which then prompts you to indulge in some wine. Smart, The Ten Bells, very smart.

I joined a group of friends in trying two of the red wines available that night, a Cotes du Rhone and a second one, which I actually can’t remember. Wine bar fail. In general, I prefer rosé and white wine to red but I enjoyed the first red I tried. Not too dry, not too acidic, the goldilocks of red wine. The second, which was a hefty $30 more expensive, was actually not as good, in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, it was good but certainly not a goldilocks. Maybe that’s why I can’t remember what it was. Also, they serve the wine in small wine glasses, perhaps to get you to buy more bottles? Not sure about this theory.

One thing to note is that this place is cash only and magnums of wine are pretty pricey so if there’s ever a time to be a baller and carry wads of cash, this is that time.

Rating: Love (Despite other non-related incidents that occurred that night that made me almost want to put Like.)

http://www.thetenbells.com

[Via http://hungrygirlchronicles.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment