Friday, February 12, 2010

Foot pain, japanese musicals, and alcohol.

Um so yeah normally these 3 things are absolutely random and have nothing to do with each other.

Except for today. In the life and times of Marguerite. However, these things were all mere coincidences, it’s not like these are 3 things that i absolutely love (or even love as a combination).

Getting to the point: well apparently i’ve been walking with a sprained foot all week and didn’t do anything about it until today. Still not sure really what the hell is wrong with my foot but thanks to a weird foot-wrap-thing it feels “better” (or am i just telling myself this?)

So it started to hurt like a mofo today after my philosophy class (which began at 9am…please kill me). I was rushing to Clignancourt (which for those who don’t know, is the absolute northernmost part of Paris before the “beltway” as i call it) from ma hood, which is in southwest Paris. Takes about 35min total to walk, take metro etc. Anyway, on my way back home (besides nodding off on the 4 and almost missing my station switch, the fucking annoying Barbès-Rochechouart) my foot felt like it was either on fire or being stabbed with a billion sharp knives. Went home and slept hoping it would stop.

Nah. It came back for a raging encore while sitting in my absolutely boring Renaissance Art class (which I left early with a friend since, well, it was so hackin’ boring). As if my life wasn’t sad enough, on my way home after getting my foot-wrap-thing, my other foot totally slipped on the cobblestoned street at rue Raymond Poincaré and i twisted my ankle. Luckily, my ankles seem to be made of rubber and it didn’t hurt. but i looked like a loser cuz i also dropped my bag o’ goodies from Monoprix. AND as if that weren’t enough, some stupid-ass pigeons who decided they refused to move from their location got their butts kicked by my foot that slipped and of course they were rather offended and made a terrible noise.

I have no idea if anyone noticed the ruckus that I caused, either way i laughed it off with my dignity intact.

Next order of business: Japanese musicals. Whaa? Yes. Now, i’m not a connoisseur of any sort in regards to musicals, especially Japanese ones. But since i wanted to keep my foot at rest, i spent my evening with my laptop and scoped YouTube. One way or another i got to a video called “Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: The Musical (Part 1)”.

 This probably means absolutely nothing to the readers that read my blog (cuz i know damn well the readers who read this haha). Phoenix Wright is a Nintendo DS game that involves a defense attorney (Phoenix Wright obviously) and he is always getting into murder mysteries and whatnot and then has to defend the person who is belived to be the murderer.

 How do I know all of this? Well, I am a total nerd and I have 3 of the 4 games in the series lol.

Before you judge me (*sigh* i know people will…) let me state the pro’s about the game.

  •  The english translation is hilarious in a good way. Not like the old NES games where the translation is absolutely dreadful to the point that its funny. Here the writer’s actually do a good job and it’s very fresh and au-courant humor.
  • Second, the story is addictive. I do not have the first installment of the series, but I have the 2nd and 3rd that are about Phoenix, and damn it if you get sucked into the story after just one case. There’s about 4-5 cases per game, it’s all following the same chronology and shit. Honestly, i don’t even remember how i got into playing the game or how i found out about it, i just know i was into it when i was still dating my druggie bf 3 years ago. The 3rd game i have involves a new defense attorney Appolo Justice, and it’s not as good (duh) but Phoenix is still in the game so i’m down wit dat.

So now i am rather fond of the crazy antics of Phoenix, his assistant Maya (who has the quirky ability to channel spirits…how convinient in a murder case! that is so japanese to have some random add-on thing like that haha), and the sketchy-ass prosecutors like Godot, Franziska Von Karma and Edgeworth.

Since the game started out in Japan (naturally…i mean seriously. what other country would find a way to make a video game all about lawyers and spirit channeling AND it would be a success?!), it makes sense that Japan would also be the first to make it into a musical.

The musical is actually called Gyakuten Saiban, and for some reason an all-female troupe did this musical. Umm. I decided to watch it, there’s subtitles soooo, it should be cool right? haha well it was definitely amusing, i couldn’t stop laughing. 1) women, no matter how good the actress, are just very awkward in male roles. Phoenix was played by a woman obviously, and really it just looked like a very lesbian japanese lady singing about politics. Her hair was not even Phoenix’s signature black spiky hair. (I don’t mean for that sentence to sound like a whiny super-fan lol)…so i didn’t really get who the hell she was at first cuz UM well she’s a woman and doesn’t look like the fuckin character……

Anywho, long story short, it was nothing short from bizarre. But what was cool was they kept the same music from the game, and a lot of the poses in the show were the same in the game. But still….who the hell decided to make this a musical and what the hell were they smoking when they came up with this whole idea!?!?!?!?!?!

So i ended up watching a few videos on it, it was so bizarre. I spent a whole semester on Japanese theatre, but i never got to see women actor’s, and since this is the only time i’ve seen japanese women in a theatrical performance, my view on the whole thing is, um, screwed up ruined askew something or other…

i wasn’t high on anything when i watched it and it was ridiculously entertaining. I highly recommend watching it, sober or not :P

Lastly: alcohol. Some reason my host dad insists i always have a full glass of wine at dinner. And full i mean when i’m done drinking the whole glass he pours another.

 I’m not a big alcohol fan. My family has a history of having major issues with it so i’ve always kept it very distant from me, not just cuz of family history but i’ve seen horrible stuff due to alcohol and the whole idea kinda makes me depressed for some reason. Anywho, so i had 3 glasses of wine at dinner. Not only am i not a fan of it, but clearly my body physically doesn’t want it either. After just 2 glasses i got soooooooo sleepy. Just 2 glasses! After my third (thankfully it was the end of dinner so i could go to my room) i was quite light headed. But not tipsy. But it was annoying. Maybe my anxiety medicine is screwing up my ability to take in alcohol? cuz i know i didnt have this problem when i was younger. Hmm. But it goes away within 30min but still it’s like WTF.

So my evening was just me in bed with Gyakuten Saiban, a sprained foot, and alcohol-related drowsiness. Most unusual for me, i must say.

I feel rather nauseous, i think i’ve been eating too much junk food. Ugh.

There’s more to talk about, but that’s for another day. My next topic will probably be on one of my french ex-bf’s, since i’ve found myself on this trip having rather awful flashbacks about him and our “relationship” that are causing problems for me to this day……yay life! :P

[Via http://missmargueriteroberts.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment