Monday, February 1, 2010

$2 Wine

Last night I went to Ralphs to pick up a few things for my sister. While there I took a short detour into the liquor aisle, because well I like to look. While browsing I happened upon a bottle of wine priced at $1.99. It was a Merlot and there were no other varietals by the same producer. This sighting conjured up feelings of both intrigue and skepticism. Wine for $2, really? At that moment I decided that my sister owed me a $2 fee for my services and so placed a bottle of the Bay Bridge Merlot in my basket. To be honest I expected it to be quite awful but my heart was set on attaining a pleasant buzz to get me through the evening. So upon arriving at home I hastily popped the cork and poured myself a glass. And guess what? It wasn’t awful! It was extremely light bodied and gave off aromas of only astringent “wine” but the palate was surprisingly not unpleasant. I found strawberry and other indistinct red berry flavors in my mouth. It was nothing like a Merlot should be, and if tasting it blind I probably would have guessed it a bulk Pinot Noir. Nonetheless, it was quite drinkable and I ended up nearly finishing the bottle. I know a $2 bottle of wine can seem a bit foreboding, but believe it or not I think that I possess a fairly discerning palate, and I assure you, it wasn’t half bad! I’d definitely pick up a bottle again.

[Via http://thecheapdrunk.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment