Friday, February 19, 2010

In Vinegar Veritas Est

My first attempt at making my own wine a couple of years ago didn’t go as well as hoped; I have learned since that time what works and what doesn’t when it comes to quantities of fruit and sugar per finished gallon of grog etc.

The first batch turned out a bit grim, but the cloud does have a silver lining – it turns out that this horrible brew actually makes fine wine vinegar (some would say it was most of the way there when I made it).

Turning it into vinegar has to be one of the very easiest things I have ever done. All I have been doing is pouring a couple of bottles of wine into a glass jug, adding a splash of some wine vinegar I already had, covering the top so that it is partially open to the air but flies can’t get into it, and just leaving it for a couple of weeks. Bingo! Wine vinegar.

I discovered that a really great way to store this vinegar is in those beer bottles which have replaceable tops which swing on a kind of pivot arrangement, the tension in which keeps the top on the bottle – Grolsch is one well-known brand which has this kind of bottle.

So I was forced to drink several bottles of beer so that I had something to keep my wine vinegar in!

The vinegar makes delicious vinaigrettes, and of course if you have far too much of it, you can use it for cleaning, as per Kim and Aggie. ;)

[Via http://ourgreencottage.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment