Friday, January 22, 2010

Summer Road Trip to Napa Valley

MCalifornia Statey wife and I are currently planning a summer road trip down to California wine country.  We’re planning to drive down, spend around 5 days exploring, and then drive home.

Our big decisions for now are when to go and where to spend our time.  For timing, we’re looking at May or June – better to get there early, beat the crowds (and the heat), and try to get some first tastes on new wines.

We’re considering the Calistoga region and Howell Mountain area in the Napa Valley and the Russian River area of the Sonoma Valley.   However, we have been told by a few different people that stopping for a night in Mendocino is an absolute must.

While down there, we also intend to hit a couple tours, and hopefully, a wine festival.

While I’ve been to California many times, this will be my first time going north of San Francisco (or even crossing the Golden Gate Bridge at all for that matter).  I don’t know a whole lot about this area or about California wines (I have my favourites, but that’s about it), so this entire process is going to be a real learning experience.  I’m looking forward to expanding my wine knowledge and to exploring one of the world’s most renowned wine growing regions.  And what better way to learn about something than to completely immerse yourself in it, even if it is only for a week.  I can’t wait!

As we plan and learn more, I’ll be sure to post updates here.

[Via http://robr21.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment