Monday, January 4, 2010

An introduction to the Phenomenon’s totally non-condescending, yet humorous and incredibly thoughtful series of wine-related postings

As you have probably already figured out based on the title of this post, I plan on starting a semi-regular series of wine-related posts on this blog.  Before I start out, however, I thought that it would be polite to lay out the answers to the interrogatories Who, What, and Why, as they pertain to this series of posts.

Why:  As in, “Why are you blathering on about wine on this website?”  Well, to be honest, mostly because McHead keeps nagging me to post more on this blog.

But, why wine?  Well, it’s the one area from the world of “food and drink” where I feel that I could contribute the most to this blog. 

Although I still consider myself a novice with respect to wine, I have spent some time trying to learn about wine and hope that I can write something interesting.  About a year ago, I decided to make a coordinated effort to learn more about wine.  Since that time, I’ve read several books on wine and attended and/or hosted about two dozen tastings.

Who: As in, “Who is the intended audience for this series of posts?”  Basically, whoever comes to this blog, which I assume, for the most part, will be the friends and family of the blog’s authors. 

To extent that anyone comes here looking for in-depth analysis or information for expert tasters, they’ll be disappointed.  I’m just a novice trying to share some of the admittedly limited information that he’s acquired about wine.

What: As in, “What are you going to write about anyway?”

I plan on starting by doing some posts about white wine varietals — specifically, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay.  I’m going to taste one example of these three varietals with each of the other gourmands, and then I’ll  write a post about each example and my tasting with the gourmand.

For each varietal, I intend to select examples that retail for $60 or less and that should be reasonably accessible without too much effort. 

Once we have finished with the abovementioned white varietals, I hope to continue with a series of postings that focus on various red varietals or, perhaps, specific wine regions.

To conclude, I hope someone winds up reading these posts and enjoying them.  If anyone does read this and has questions, feel free to comment below.

[Via http://metrogourmand.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment