Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Oh Brussel Sprouts, How I Love Thee.

Brussel sprouts prior to their 45 minute long bask in 375ºF weather.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years have passed without so much as a single food-related quip from me.  I assumed that you were all crazy busy with all the family oriented drama the emerges from that part of the year.  Anyway, I figured that I should post a few entries to make up for lost time.

One of my favorite holiday dishes (well, it started as a holiday dish, but then sort of creeped its way all the way around the year) is Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Caramelized Shallots and Toasted Almonds in a Honeyed Wine Sauce.  I put all the capitals letter in the right place just to emphasize how delicious this number is.  I know what some of you are thinking: EWWW, wtf Cho-Cho, I hate brussel sprouts–they’re nasty!!  Well, I urge you to try this dish.  The brussel sprouts turn buttery and mellow in the rich, rounded tangy-ness of the wine glaze, and they’re perfectly complimented by the sweet caramelized shallots and crisp almond slices.  Here’s how to do it:

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

For the wine sauce, simply find a nice, cheap wine–I used a nondescript bottle from whole foods (around $5.00), and bring about 1 1/2 cups of it to a nice boil in a small saucepan.  Then, stir in 1/4 cup of dark honey.  Bring the mixture to a boil, again.  Lower the heat and add some salt.

Wash about 1 lb of brussel sprouts thoroughly.  Cut all in half.  Slice 2 shallots very, very finely.

Next, lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil.  Arrange the brussel sprouts on the pan, cut side up.  Sprinkle brussel sprouts with the sliced shallots, and then top generously with raw, sliced almonds.  Drizzle with the wine glaze and let sit in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the sprouts’ outer leaves have withered.  In order to keep things from burning and the glaze, optimally glazy, you may need to mix things up a bit halfway through.

[Via http://acrispycho.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment