Friday, December 18, 2009

Jolly Good: Black Books, "Kafka on the Shore", Wine, Club 299 and Graduating

Upon reading my last few blog entries, I realised people might be under the impression that I’m a bitter, cynical old witch who sees little joy in the world.

Well that may be, but there are still some things out there that bring a ray of sunshine to my withered, blackened old heart.

(I also can’t be arsed writing about the highlights of the last decade like everybody else is.)

Black Books

“OLD!” Yes yes, I know, it’s been well established that I am not at the forefront of modern pop culture trends. Whatever. What an excellent show. It combines many things I can appreciate and relate to. Books! Surly customer service! Awkward social situations! Wine-related disasters! A bizarre attraction on my part to Bernard Black even though he’s a bitter, alcoholic, antisocial, possessive bastard! I love it. Thankyou naughty YouTube users for putting the episodes on the internet and providing me with hours of entertainment. My favourite is Grapes of Wrath.

Bernard: No one is willing to admit that wine doesn’t actually have a taste.

Manny: Of course you can’t taste anything, you smoke eighty bajillion cigarettes a day. What’s that you’re eating?

Bernard: Some sort of delicious biscuit.

Manny: It’s a coaster.

Bernard: Is it? Are there any more?

Speaking of wine…

Red Wine

“I will never be a pretentious, wine-drinking wanker!” I have screeched in various tequila/vodka-addled states.

This changed when I discovered that red wine is actually pretty nice. I currently like shiraz cabernet. Perhaps this is a sign of maturity. Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s just a phase and will pass soon. It certainly seems to be in vogue with certain circles of young ladies at the moment. As shown in Black Books, it is the perfect partner to cozy nights in, reading a good book (or watching said British comedy on DVD), art gallery openings, late night chats with friends or lamenting over various love-related disasters. Oh, and probably pasta and certain kinds of fish I suppose.

Part of the appeal is a certain sophistication; swirling the beetrooty liquid around in my glass, making astute observations like, “Hmm… yes… quite a fine vintage, with subtle notes of… um… wine.”

Back on the subject of books…

Kafka on the Shore

I loved Karuki Murakami’s book After Dark so I moved onto his arguably most well-known book, Kafka on the Shore.

It’s hard to describe what it’s about without ruining it. It’s set in urban Japan but where mythology, philosophy, art, music and literature alters time and reality. It’s funny, tragic and a richly surreal look on life and the world. If you’re like and get caught up in pondering existential things like parallel universes and dreams, you’ll probably enjoy it.

Club 299

Club 299 in Fortitude Valley has gone under many changes. I was a bit of a regular back in 2007, in which I would consume tequila and play air guitar along to Guns n Roses. Knowing the ex-bar manager had its own advantages too. Then the club changed hands and the new club nights – particularly one advertised Katy Perry-themed night – discouraged me to return.

But the club has changed yet again, and I for one welcome our new Club 299 overlords. I haven’t been on a Thursday night yet, but Rosie’s ever-popular Snitch club night will now be at 299. SFX on Friday night features music that tickles my heavy rock and metal fancy, while Gossip on Saturday night plays a wide variety of indie, classic tunes (Ghostbusters theme song, anybody?) and guilty pleasures. The light-up disco dancefloor upstairs is quite a spectacle for bloodshot eyes. The downside is that it gets sticky after a while of dancers spilling their drinks on it. Basically, don’t dance there if you’re wearing slip-on shoes. On a personal note, a few “Old Ric’s” staff and regulars work, DJ and drink there. It’s lovely to see friends and familiar faces when I go.

Excellent Brissy band I Heart Hiroshima will be playing there this Saturday night. Can’t wait!

Graduating

According to those kind folks at QUT, I am now qualified to be a journalist. I got a piece of paper and everything. Blogging superstar Peter Taggart is one too.

Somebody hire us, please. Will write for money. Or food. Or wine.

[Via http://elliefreeman.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment