Monday, December 28, 2009

A day in the Hunter Valley

Hi friends :) .

It’s been a long but lovely day of driving today. Adam had never been to the Hunter Valley wine country so we headed off from Forster around 10am this morning for a little wine adventure. The day started with a simple breakfast of Vogels, a cup of Rooibos, a spoonful of Maranatha and a coffee from the BP servo once on the road (surprisingly good!).

It took us roughly 2.5 hours to get into the wineries, Adam drove there, luckily because I felt so sleepy the whole way and would have had trouble keeping my eyes open. We each snacked on a muesli bar too around 11am.

Once there we called and booked in at Muse cafe at Hungerford Hill winery for lunch at 2.30pm. But first we stopped at Peppertree, Tempus Two, the Smelly Cheese Shop, Tulloch and Brokenwood. My favourites are Peppertree and now Tulloch.

Here we are at Peppertree having a tasting.

010

It’s such a beautiful winery. The grounds are gorgeous with rose bushes everywhere. Unfortunately it poured with rain the whole time :( . 011

With our purchases in the pretty gazebo!!!

012

We got a couple of reds and whites and some verscato for Martin from Tulloch (he loves it). Then it was off to Muse for lunch!

To start we had warm olives in balsamic vinegar and bread as we were starving.

021

The bread was warm ciabatta and came with olive oil, Margaret River pink salt (home!), and garlic confit (delish).

020

I had a heap of olives and 2 pieces of bread. I was HUNGRY! Plus I had probably had about a glass of wines worth of tasting sips (despite only taking a sip and pouring out the rest of my tastes) and wanted to cleanse the palate. The tasting pours are huge in the Hunter! I was designated driver so after those tastes called it a day.

So Adam and I committed a cardinal sin of food blogging and ordered the same thing for lunch ;) . Except that there was the option to have the scallops wrapped in prosciutto so he took that up and I didn’t. This was home made fettuccine, cherry tomatoes, scallops, anchovies, spinach and purple basil in a white wine sauce (not creamy).

023

Adam’s and mine below.

024

It was absolutely fresh and delicious! I am usually a bit scared of anchovies but these were incredible. Not super fishy and the saltiness really made the meal!

Once I drove the 2.5 hours back to Forster, cheeses and snacks were ready and waiting.

025

Albeit half demolished ;) . I picked up some Mary’s crackers from the Smelly Cheese shop and some wasabi peas (love them) and some balsamic peanuts (just cause they sounded strange and interesting). 

026 027

028

The star of the show was this yoghurt cheese that is like Persian feta. It’s incredible.

029

So I had a bit of everything except the brie. Probably 6 Mary’s crackers with Labna, a handful of wasabi peas and a couple of peanuts (not so great).

Dinner tonight was another BBQ. I skipped out of the chicken, sausages and burgers and went with a little smoked salmon with green salad (no dressing) and some baked sweet potato. I ended up having 3 pieces not just the 1 piece pictured as it was delish. With dinner I had 2 small glasses of Watershed Cabernet Merlot, mmmmmmmmmmm.

030

Dessert was a tiny piece of pineapple, some unpictured green grapes, a couple of cherries, a spoonful of Maranatha and a cup of tea. Full and full.

031

I’m headed back to the Forster gym tomorrow morning with Martin for another long workout. I had a rest day today and I’m craving a workout after sitting in the car for 5 hours. Then later we are driving back to Sydney for another few days before our holiday comes to an end on Friday and we head back home to Perth. I’m looking forward to seeing Little! I’ve never been a month without seeing her :( .

[Via http://whatisforbreakfast.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment