Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wine App for BlackBerry

I’ve been searching for a wine review / cellar management application for my BlackBerry for quite some time.  With the release of the iPhone, it’s become even more frustrating with the flood of applications of this sort that were developed for the iPhone.  For some reason, however, the BlackBerry was entirely overlooked by developers.  Enter BlackBerry App World.  So now that BB owners finally have a centralized distribution channel to search for BB apps, we are still waiting for certain apps to materialize.

Well, over the last year, I have been contacting a few of these iPhone wine app developers and a few online cellar management companies to see if anyone has plans to develop a BlackBerry version of their app.  And as of today, I finally have some good news to report.

I received an email from Eric LeVine (founder of CellarTracker!) today to let me know that Cor.kz has been working on a BlackBerry app that will provide wine reviews and cellar management using data from CellarTracker.com.  Currently, they have an iPhone version of app that has received great reviews and is rated as one of the top 5 wine apps for the iPhone.  I emailed the developers at Cor.kz and received confirmation from them that this is no rumour.  They said that they expected to have it released by now already, but that they had run into a few difficulties that they were working to resolve before releasing the app.  So, the good news is that they are almost there.

The best part of this story is that CellarTracker.com is a great online cellar management tool that is used by 84,000

users already and has reviews/information on over 14 million different bottles of wine already.  It’s a great database that I currently use to manage my cellar and read reviews.  So it’s great that this is the data the Cor.kz BlackBerry app will be using.

I’ll post an update once I hear anymore information.  But at least now we can say that someone is working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment