Friday, October 30, 2009

Race and Family

DNA, our genes what we are made up from. Why do we behave the way we do? I’ve been thinking about that this week because I’ve let myself down, and wonder why I do that to myself, (had a bit too much wine if your wondering). For a while now I have curbed my drinking and our weekly consumption is within healthy guidelines most weeks. I can say that there have only been three nights this year where I have really over indulged but when I drink too much I have a huge feeling of guilt, no matter what I do. This week I have been told I was funny and there is no harm done but I want to know why I drink more than I should on occasion.

Is it an inherited trait? My mum never drank alcohol so not from her. My dad liked a drink as they say, but I only remember him being ‘drunk’ occasionally, Christmas, New Year, odd Saturdays and very occasional parties.

All this got me thinking about my family tree. My mum was from the far south of Italy, her dad was from Calabria and I have dark skin and dark eyes with a funny flap thing that I once identified from a book as a sand catcher.

When I was on holiday in Greece a few local people spoke to me in Greek, one old man even gave me a row for being with a tourist until I spoke in English then he nearly died from embarrassment.

I believe my family come from poor stock have moved about for generations trying to improve their lot.

And that is today’s smile, from a hangover I ended up thinking about my ancestors and how adventurous they must have been to travel away from home to make a better life. I don’t know where I come from originally, I think it’s further south than Italy and I love that as an idea. I want to know where I am from and the thought of desert ancestors or North African blood just seems amazing for a west coast Scottish girl to come from.

An excuse for drinking too much, probably not unless I go with the idea of stocking up when there’s plenty because peasants never had enough, I don’t really think that washes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment