Friday, October 9, 2009

1, 2, 3, 4 I Declare a Thumb War

*Disclaimer: I received this wine as a sample from Thumbprint Cellars.

Some days I start to think about what wine we’re going to drink that night early in the day.  This was one of those days.  We were having Tilapia with bread crumbs and I usually go straight for a Sauvignon Blanc.  However, the folks from Thumbprint Cellars had recently sent me a bottle of their 2007 Thumbprint Cellars Russian River Valley Chardonnay.  It’s 100% stainless steel fermented, but they let it go through just a touch of malo-actic…I was intrigued and thought it might be a good match for the Tilapia. It retails for $29, had a screw cap closure, clocked in at 14.3% alcohol by volume, and is a Vegan wine (never seen that before!).

On the nose I found peach, pear, yellow apple, lemon, citrus, and tropical notes.  The Pear really dominated the nose, which overall I found to be very aromatic. In the mouth I got green apple, stone fruit, lemon, lemon zest, tangerine, orange spice, lemon oil, and spice.  The wine had a long finish and just the slightest touch of a creamy mouthfeel which went perfectly with our baked Tilapia.  Thumbprint Cellars was new to me, I’m interested in checking out some of their other offerings!

No comments:

Post a Comment